Translate

Monday, March 16, 2020

80s Moment Magic: A Comedic Flashback

Once upon a time, many years ago, on a frigid October evening in Upstate New York, my friends Hannah and Isabel and I were sitting around in their dormitory, finishing up our dinner and debating what lay ahead for the evening.  Do we bear the cold and go out to a party?  Do we hunker down and drink wine and watch a trending comedy?   A few silly drinking games later, Hannah and Isabel convinced me to go to a sorority's 80s party.  We did a bit of a dressing room parade before we secured our outfits and there I was, ready to go, with liquid courage and little enthusiasm except for quality time with those too.  Adorned in neon green ruffles with a top ponytail, we climbed aboard the school's shuttle and headed towards the 80s party located in the ever so classy, Bundy Dining Hall. 

As we walked through the doors, it was as if 80s paraphernalia had exploded everywhere: crimped hair, jean jackets, rainbow and neon colored tutus all to the lulling calm of Tiffany and Debby Gibson.  I looked at Hannah and Isabel horrified and tried to bolt for the door.   They grabbed me and said "Let's get a beer."  We went to the bar which was luckily slow and ran into some other friends and chatted to them. 

When all of the sudden, a girl with too much blue eyeshadow, combined with too much Budweiser, cruised up to me, and goes "Are you Heather?" And I said, yes, curiously.  And the boppity, beer drinking random girl, continues while pouring a beer on my top ponytail.  "This is for making out with my sister's boyfriend." And then ran away hysterically, while I stood, stunned, slightly soaked in my hideous green dress.  My friend, Molly responded with more speed then me, running over and starting to kick the culprit.  I felt like I had been doused in clarity and walked calmly over to the accuser and her sister. and said "I'm sorry but I didn't know you were still dating, and let's look at this situation, he made out with me, while he was dating you.  Who is the bad guy here?"   The girl whose boyfriend I had apparently made out with, was clearly shocked that I had continued this whole very 80s movie exchange but acknowledged my point.  She didn't say sorry but nodded and that was enough.  Enough for me to have peace with the moment,  enough with me to have my miserable and ridiculous 80s movie moment and enough for me to end my evening of drinking and proceed to my dorm's charming shower stalls.  

#SOL20. #Day16 #comicreliefincorona 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for calling him out. Isn't beer good for hair anyway?

    College parties tend to bring out the best in people, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a hilarious story. And good for you for pointing out the real villain in this piece. Horrible things that happen to you often turn into great stories.

    ReplyDelete