Translate

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Happy Accidents; Feeling Groovy

6 pm this evening, I went out to buy onions. 
We needed onions for our pasta sauce.  It was a mandatory trip, plus a breath of welcomed fresh air.

First stop, Dia, the local chain discount supermarket.  I usually try to avoid this place but there were no lines and I didn't really need anything else.   I walked in.  There was orange juice.  Orange juice is hard to come by these days.  I think people really want the vitamin C so are stocking up.  This is a good sign, I thought to myself.  I continued down the aisle to the fruit and vegetable sections.  There was a lone half chunk of lettuce, a tomato, a couple of apples.  I scanned the empty boxes looking for a sign of onions.  Finally, at the bottom of a box, I saw a few.  I picked one up. It leaked juice and bugs flew out.  #shoppingfail

Next stop, I went to the Chinese grocery store across the street.  There was a line of 5 people but it moved within 5 minutes.  I went in and saw the vegetable part of the store run by another person was closed and walked out.

I began to lament.  Pasta sauce without tomatoes.  Of course, it would work but wouldn't be so good.  As I approached the corner to turn back to my house, I saw the little organic store, with two people outside.  It seemed open.  I walked up.  A cute shirtless man stood outside talking to his other friend.  I said "Tienen cebolla/ do you have onions?"

They said, "Yes, but do you know how this works?"  He then tossed me a gorgeous green apple.  "You need that too."

I replied "Yes, I do, but I really need onions for my pasta sauce."  They responded with a giggle and asked whether I wanted brown or red.

We chatted for awhile and I gave them my number so I can order vegetables from them in the future; it's an organic community garden that creates boxes and delivers them within the neighborhood.  Totally my jam, but just hadn't taken the time to sign up, especially since we are theoretically leaving soon.

I asked "How much?" as I was about to go.
They said "No worries, it's a present."

Whether this was a kind exchange, good energy, a happy accident, or Heather, still having a bit of groove, even in quarantine gear (puppy shirt, post-workout pulled back hair, and blue running shorts), it was a boost to my self esteem and a great little dent in my day.

#SOL20 #Day29 #grooveisintheheart

2 comments:

  1. My days have been filled with so many small kindnesses, like the one you describe. That has definitely been one positive to come from this situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a charming chain of events that led you to your onions! Hope the sauce turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete