This morning started with the air and the sun opening their hearts to the Argentine fall. I walked to school in a long sleeved shirt, with the breeze sweeping across my face, softly opening my still sleepy eyes. It was Friday! A long weekend was coming! I was more than half way through my single parenting stint and the weather was flat out spectacular. I arrived at school a minute or two late as I was relishing in the B-beauty of it.
I arrived to school sat down to my first conversation of the day, a coaching cycle with a teacher on High School integrated Physics and Chemistry. We spoke of what's next, some guided inquiry strategies and got revved up for the next week which will introduce waves. We previewed hooks and discussed student accountability. I was 2-0. My day had started off with two beautiful moments before 10 am... Wooee!
After the chat my coachee, I decided to treat myself to Starbucks. I had held out all week and was craving a cold brew so I got my reusable Starbucks cup and walked over and my crush on the Argentine fall weather got even stronger. I walked to the counter, ordered a cold brew and handed the cashier my cup. She said to me straight faced in Spanish "We don't serve cold drinks in these cups." I straight faced, no tone, no angst, said "Why?" And I didn't get a response. This proceeded to a stare down. Then she got another cup, a plastic one, to which I firmly responded. "Please don't use that plastic cup. That's why I brought my own. " The stare down went on, by this time the line was growing. Finally, she took the cup and put it next to the place where the coffee orders would be made. She had put the plastic cup from before away but I thought I might as well just give her the benefit of the doubt that the process in between of getting the coffee in the cup would be a pure, non plastic escapade. I chose to turn the other way. Bottomline is this moment, was my A of the day, annoying. When you are trying to be environmental conscious and the inability to think outside of a box gets in the way... let's just say I have the image of a goat ramming it's horns against a wall and not getting anywhere.
The final letter of tonight is the C-care... There is so many places I can go with this but being abroad I am thankful for the care I am able to give my child and myself. Today, I got home from work, went for a quick 5 km run and then was able to come home and have physiotherapy at my house. My physiotherapist takes good care of me. She does ultrasound therapy and then massage and on top of that, she is an Argentine-German lady that speaks 3 languages and is my age with a child a similar age to Pablo, so we can chat about everything from here to the moon. Meanwhile, while Sandra cared for me, my helper, Vero, took Pablo to the park which made everything better for everyone. I thank the spirits above, whoever, whatever they are for allowing me to take care of myself and take care of others. It is something that is easy to take for granted.
#ABC #Lifeabroad #SOL19 #SliceofLifeChallenge
I arrived to school sat down to my first conversation of the day, a coaching cycle with a teacher on High School integrated Physics and Chemistry. We spoke of what's next, some guided inquiry strategies and got revved up for the next week which will introduce waves. We previewed hooks and discussed student accountability. I was 2-0. My day had started off with two beautiful moments before 10 am... Wooee!
After the chat my coachee, I decided to treat myself to Starbucks. I had held out all week and was craving a cold brew so I got my reusable Starbucks cup and walked over and my crush on the Argentine fall weather got even stronger. I walked to the counter, ordered a cold brew and handed the cashier my cup. She said to me straight faced in Spanish "We don't serve cold drinks in these cups." I straight faced, no tone, no angst, said "Why?" And I didn't get a response. This proceeded to a stare down. Then she got another cup, a plastic one, to which I firmly responded. "Please don't use that plastic cup. That's why I brought my own. " The stare down went on, by this time the line was growing. Finally, she took the cup and put it next to the place where the coffee orders would be made. She had put the plastic cup from before away but I thought I might as well just give her the benefit of the doubt that the process in between of getting the coffee in the cup would be a pure, non plastic escapade. I chose to turn the other way. Bottomline is this moment, was my A of the day, annoying. When you are trying to be environmental conscious and the inability to think outside of a box gets in the way... let's just say I have the image of a goat ramming it's horns against a wall and not getting anywhere.
The final letter of tonight is the C-care... There is so many places I can go with this but being abroad I am thankful for the care I am able to give my child and myself. Today, I got home from work, went for a quick 5 km run and then was able to come home and have physiotherapy at my house. My physiotherapist takes good care of me. She does ultrasound therapy and then massage and on top of that, she is an Argentine-German lady that speaks 3 languages and is my age with a child a similar age to Pablo, so we can chat about everything from here to the moon. Meanwhile, while Sandra cared for me, my helper, Vero, took Pablo to the park which made everything better for everyone. I thank the spirits above, whoever, whatever they are for allowing me to take care of myself and take care of others. It is something that is easy to take for granted.
#ABC #Lifeabroad #SOL19 #SliceofLifeChallenge
I loved hearing about your life abroad. I have lived abroad before, and it is a life-changing experience. I hope you share more about it!
ReplyDeleteI've never lived abroad, but I felt like I was walking with you today. I skipped the run though :-)
ReplyDeleteLife abroad.... just the sound of it... very romantic and the little moments you describe feed that idea. Argentina sounds lovely!
ReplyDeleteSo well written. I love your ABC technique.
ReplyDeleteI lived abroad for some time, myself, so I'm looking forward to reading more posts this month! Love how you can take a moment slow and be grateful for the good things in life in this piece.
ReplyDeleteThis international teaching gig ain't too bad. :) Glad to spend another March with you!
ReplyDelete