My child is becoming too Argentine for my liking. His love for ice cream, chorizo and media lunas (these mini croissants glazed with a little bit of sugar syrup) are of grave concern. I think he would probably live on those alone along with fruit, carrots and potato chips.
Still, it's fun and interesting to raise an international child. He is nearing 21 months and he translanguages like no tomorrow. Going between Spanish and English and intelligently picking the easiest of the words to use when he speaks. He does love chorizo, ice cream and media lunas but those are pretty good things to eat in general. I, myself, am a sucker for all three here too.
Representing Mom and the United States, he likes Mexican food, Indian food and any kind of milk he can get his hands on. Representing Papa on the Spanish side, he likes olives and cheese and salty potato chips. You can find him at a barbecue, hoarding potato chips or running back to them if I remove him from where they are placed. Finding a balance of healthy eating is tough when you get out and travel, we feed him healthily at home, with a promise of one dessert a day(usually a yogurt or an ice cream) if he eats his dinner. We supplement snacks with oatmeal cereal, fruit etc. but on the other hand, I have no idea what other parents bring for his school snack and when we go out to someone else's house, I don't want to monitor him the whole time. Adults need to have some fun too. So we just usually let him eat what he wants with the exception of candy. He is still 21 months and I long to keep it that way but we only have so much control as parents.
I do appreciate the wealth of fruits and vegetables Argentina has on offer, and most of them are seasonal like Spain, so you aren't contributing as badly to carbon footprints like we were always in Malaysia. This morning, Pablo had a banana. Later, he had a peach for a snack and during lunch some watermelon. Just as he went down for a nap, I cut up some pineapple. The price is right here too. You can walk out of the fruit/ vegetable shop spending $10 with four bags of stuff. For fresh produce in the States, it would cost 3 times as much at minimum.
It's fun to have a budding foodie at our feet and I look forward to continuing my culinary journeys with Pablo as a partner in crime for the rest of our lives.
Still, it's fun and interesting to raise an international child. He is nearing 21 months and he translanguages like no tomorrow. Going between Spanish and English and intelligently picking the easiest of the words to use when he speaks. He does love chorizo, ice cream and media lunas but those are pretty good things to eat in general. I, myself, am a sucker for all three here too.
Representing Mom and the United States, he likes Mexican food, Indian food and any kind of milk he can get his hands on. Representing Papa on the Spanish side, he likes olives and cheese and salty potato chips. You can find him at a barbecue, hoarding potato chips or running back to them if I remove him from where they are placed. Finding a balance of healthy eating is tough when you get out and travel, we feed him healthily at home, with a promise of one dessert a day(usually a yogurt or an ice cream) if he eats his dinner. We supplement snacks with oatmeal cereal, fruit etc. but on the other hand, I have no idea what other parents bring for his school snack and when we go out to someone else's house, I don't want to monitor him the whole time. Adults need to have some fun too. So we just usually let him eat what he wants with the exception of candy. He is still 21 months and I long to keep it that way but we only have so much control as parents.
I do appreciate the wealth of fruits and vegetables Argentina has on offer, and most of them are seasonal like Spain, so you aren't contributing as badly to carbon footprints like we were always in Malaysia. This morning, Pablo had a banana. Later, he had a peach for a snack and during lunch some watermelon. Just as he went down for a nap, I cut up some pineapple. The price is right here too. You can walk out of the fruit/ vegetable shop spending $10 with four bags of stuff. For fresh produce in the States, it would cost 3 times as much at minimum.
It's fun to have a budding foodie at our feet and I look forward to continuing my culinary journeys with Pablo as a partner in crime for the rest of our lives.
Thanks for sharing. Enjoy introducing him to new things.
ReplyDeleteHello Heather,
ReplyDeleteLove your blog. At Global Garden they always start with fruit every.morming at 10 am...oranges, apples and bananas. Sometimes tangarines, melon and cherry tomatoes. Then they have cereal or crackers. Cookies are allowed, too. Keep on writing. We love Pablo and you!! Lilian Mansfield