In the afternoon yesterday, my little baby boy started screaming like he had been possessed by the devil. I felt for a fever, scanned for any physical damage, and tried to observe him but he just wanted to be held and rocked like he was 5 months old again. He did occasionally pull on his ear and so I thought maybe he had an ear infection. Guiltily, I gave him some ibuprofen which knocked him out quickly for another 2 hours after he had already taken a 1.5 hour snooze. When he woke up he was peaceful. Although, I monitored the situation til he went to bed. And when he woke up in the middle of the night, I brought him to my bed for as long as I could take the rolling around (about 1.5 hours) just to make sure he was okay, no fever, etc. I thought I was in the clear and then...
This morning, I was snuggling him and giving him a kiss attack and noticed his ear full of orangish pus and wax. I took a closer look and it was definitely infected, even after swiping it with an alcohol wipe, I noticed the entrance into the canal was shut with wax and pus. So, I called up my pediatrician; 8 hours away on holiday. She recommended this and that based on a photo and no fever, but since my entire life, I had chronic ear issues, I did not want to prescribe without a trip to the doc especially since this was P's first ear infection. So, I begrudgingly went to the dreaded Clinica Olivos.
Surprisingly, it was a pretty painless experience. A 20 minute wait, a seemingly competent doctor and a prescription. I was feeling like my day was pretty tied up at this point.
So, I walked outside towards the pharmacy and it was closed. Then, I did a quick google search with my phone. 1.6 km away. Baby in arms. 13.3 kg baby to be exact.
When we made it to the pharmacy, P was as happy to be out of my arms as I was, and he sat patiently in the waiting area while I ordered his prescription.
It's 2 pm and the day is more than halfway over but these single parenting stints make you feel like you are constantly climbing a steep hill with 5 minute intervals of flat terrain. I am thankful to have a little lover, not a fighter of a man. Still, I send huge kudos to the parents in the world who do this or did this everyday, especially, my little brother.
#SOL19 #TWTblog #Parenting
This morning, I was snuggling him and giving him a kiss attack and noticed his ear full of orangish pus and wax. I took a closer look and it was definitely infected, even after swiping it with an alcohol wipe, I noticed the entrance into the canal was shut with wax and pus. So, I called up my pediatrician; 8 hours away on holiday. She recommended this and that based on a photo and no fever, but since my entire life, I had chronic ear issues, I did not want to prescribe without a trip to the doc especially since this was P's first ear infection. So, I begrudgingly went to the dreaded Clinica Olivos.
Surprisingly, it was a pretty painless experience. A 20 minute wait, a seemingly competent doctor and a prescription. I was feeling like my day was pretty tied up at this point.
So, I walked outside towards the pharmacy and it was closed. Then, I did a quick google search with my phone. 1.6 km away. Baby in arms. 13.3 kg baby to be exact.
When we made it to the pharmacy, P was as happy to be out of my arms as I was, and he sat patiently in the waiting area while I ordered his prescription.
It's 2 pm and the day is more than halfway over but these single parenting stints make you feel like you are constantly climbing a steep hill with 5 minute intervals of flat terrain. I am thankful to have a little lover, not a fighter of a man. Still, I send huge kudos to the parents in the world who do this or did this everyday, especially, my little brother.
#SOL19 #TWTblog #Parenting
Glad it all got solved. Liked the way you held our interest with the brief moments of resolution that don't quite pan out.
ReplyDelete