I remember my chiropractor in Barcelona and him saying to me "At least, you are body aware, it's better than being so accustomed to pain, you let it get worse, or ultimately ignore it." 90% of the time I agree, but I have unfortunately been dealing with this extreme shoulder and neck pain for the last 9 months and I really wish I had a Dr. House in the house to examine me.
I have been to a Orthopedic doctor thinking it was in my shoulder. Although, I am not convinced he was the best doctor or measure of if there is an actual muscular injury. He literally lifted my arm up, moved his hand along my scapula and asked "Does that hurt?" And I said, "Yep." And he prescribed "10 sessions of physiotherapy, should do it."
I told him "I have had chronic issues and my shoulder hyper extends."
"Let's do this and see what happens."
I felt silenced but at least I knew the PT I was already doing would be covered by insurance.
But it's been nearly 3 months and a lot of PT, and working out with a physical trainer to strengthen those muscles and still, there's a lot of pain. My physio suggested it might be connected to my digestive system and recommended I visit a gastro.
At this point, the song "I'm a hypochondriac" was on repeat in my head, but the pain was still not going away. So, I visited the gastroenterologist and he felt around my stomach, and sent me off for a stomach and digestive system ultrasound.
This came back clear too. So, he has prescribed me some medicine which ideally is supposed to help speed up my digestion.
Still, all in all, I usually spend half my week with debilitating shoulder pain. Sometimes, it's so bad, I am awkward in meetings massaging my neck or stretching in a chair. At least, in my office, in the comfort of my colleagues, I will try and massage a knot out, do yogi stretches, and exercises. At home, when I wake up every morning, I try to do 5 minutes of stretching to loosen up my body.
So these days my body awareness is over rated. I think I would rather build up a resistance to the pain if it's going to be with me for awhile.
#SOL19 #TWTblog #ouch
I have been to a Orthopedic doctor thinking it was in my shoulder. Although, I am not convinced he was the best doctor or measure of if there is an actual muscular injury. He literally lifted my arm up, moved his hand along my scapula and asked "Does that hurt?" And I said, "Yep." And he prescribed "10 sessions of physiotherapy, should do it."
I told him "I have had chronic issues and my shoulder hyper extends."
"Let's do this and see what happens."
I felt silenced but at least I knew the PT I was already doing would be covered by insurance.
But it's been nearly 3 months and a lot of PT, and working out with a physical trainer to strengthen those muscles and still, there's a lot of pain. My physio suggested it might be connected to my digestive system and recommended I visit a gastro.
At this point, the song "I'm a hypochondriac" was on repeat in my head, but the pain was still not going away. So, I visited the gastroenterologist and he felt around my stomach, and sent me off for a stomach and digestive system ultrasound.
This came back clear too. So, he has prescribed me some medicine which ideally is supposed to help speed up my digestion.
Still, all in all, I usually spend half my week with debilitating shoulder pain. Sometimes, it's so bad, I am awkward in meetings massaging my neck or stretching in a chair. At least, in my office, in the comfort of my colleagues, I will try and massage a knot out, do yogi stretches, and exercises. At home, when I wake up every morning, I try to do 5 minutes of stretching to loosen up my body.
So these days my body awareness is over rated. I think I would rather build up a resistance to the pain if it's going to be with me for awhile.
#SOL19 #TWTblog #ouch
I am so sorry for your pain. I deal with a chronic a right shoulder issue also. Brought on by years of carrying a heavy bag on my shoulder and over extension in yoga (down dog, etc.) Heat, stretching, keeping it still have all helped, but never cured. I wish you luck. It helps I hope to write it out.
ReplyDeleteHow frustrating! But everyone says we should listen to our bodies. I have chronic jaw pain...and no one can seem to fix it. But at least I know it's that! Good luck!
ReplyDeletewow I feel your frustration. I hope that you find some relief soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that you are dealing with this pain. As someone who's had chronic back, hip, and leg pain, I feel you. They can't figure out what's wrong with me either. I actually ended up in the ER a couple of weeks ago for it. I hope it goes away soon!
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain. Literally. In fact, I shared some great shoulder openers last year since I have been dealing with that for quite some time. Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKDwcvlGMmg&feature=youtu.be.
ReplyDeleteoh no dear friend! I remember you had it some here too? My brother in law is an amazing ortho guy and specializes in shoulders. Maybe we can do a facetime=)
ReplyDelete