A few of you may have read that I stupidly lost my phone in an Uber a few days ago
In between trying to distract my child with multiple objects and him being a hot mess,
He threw it under the seat and by the time we arrived, we all just wanted out.
I had recovered a number of other objects from the car so I just automatically didn't worry.
Then, a few hours later, went searching for my phone to order an uber home and bam.
A little mad at Pablo but more mad at myself for letting it happen. I let it simmer on Friday night.
On Saturday morning woke up, willing to just let it go. Two dear friends immediately reached out via my facebook post to let me borrow their phones while I waited for another to be delivered or what may come. I really didn't think of it at all until I got an email that sent the driver's number and that he had found it. I had Andres use his phone to send a few messages and call but no response.
To be honest, I was okay with it. The situation in Argentina is very fragile right now. The currency is devalued almost every week and over the last 9 months we have lived here, it's gone from 25 to nearly 45 pesos to the dollar. This makes life hard for anyone who is paid in pesos with a country that with the exception of alcohol and food, is particularly dependent on imports. I realized that there was a very good chance that this driver might have needed the money from the phone to feed his family more than I did. I was ready to let it go.
When eating lunch at the Olivos food trucks, Andres went to get something to eat and was gone longer than usual. I saw him receiving a call. As he walked up with food and drinks in his hand, he declared "Your phone has been found. The guy will bring it tomorrow." Wow. I thought, miracles do happen, but once again, was reluctant to believe that the issue was solved. We both agreed to give him a reward of about 2000 pesos/ $50, not much but a good sum here and we thought it was a fair and not overly boisterous reward.
This morning, the man arrived around 10 am and we took the money out to him. He did not want to take the reward but he asked us for another favor. Wow. I was blown away. So he didn't take the money, but what he did was more proactive and better than anything I could have imagined. "Here is my resume, here's my experience (listing his experience). More than anything I need better work."
In a world where there is a lot of pain and a lot of greed and a lot of nonsense, this man's kindness and gumption moved me. I am really hoping that somehow we can help find him more consistent work. He does truly embody Gandhi's "We must become the change we wish to see."
#Sol19 #finalslice #buenosaires #argentina #bethechange
In between trying to distract my child with multiple objects and him being a hot mess,
He threw it under the seat and by the time we arrived, we all just wanted out.
I had recovered a number of other objects from the car so I just automatically didn't worry.
Then, a few hours later, went searching for my phone to order an uber home and bam.
A little mad at Pablo but more mad at myself for letting it happen. I let it simmer on Friday night.
On Saturday morning woke up, willing to just let it go. Two dear friends immediately reached out via my facebook post to let me borrow their phones while I waited for another to be delivered or what may come. I really didn't think of it at all until I got an email that sent the driver's number and that he had found it. I had Andres use his phone to send a few messages and call but no response.
To be honest, I was okay with it. The situation in Argentina is very fragile right now. The currency is devalued almost every week and over the last 9 months we have lived here, it's gone from 25 to nearly 45 pesos to the dollar. This makes life hard for anyone who is paid in pesos with a country that with the exception of alcohol and food, is particularly dependent on imports. I realized that there was a very good chance that this driver might have needed the money from the phone to feed his family more than I did. I was ready to let it go.
When eating lunch at the Olivos food trucks, Andres went to get something to eat and was gone longer than usual. I saw him receiving a call. As he walked up with food and drinks in his hand, he declared "Your phone has been found. The guy will bring it tomorrow." Wow. I thought, miracles do happen, but once again, was reluctant to believe that the issue was solved. We both agreed to give him a reward of about 2000 pesos/ $50, not much but a good sum here and we thought it was a fair and not overly boisterous reward.
This morning, the man arrived around 10 am and we took the money out to him. He did not want to take the reward but he asked us for another favor. Wow. I was blown away. So he didn't take the money, but what he did was more proactive and better than anything I could have imagined. "Here is my resume, here's my experience (listing his experience). More than anything I need better work."
In a world where there is a lot of pain and a lot of greed and a lot of nonsense, this man's kindness and gumption moved me. I am really hoping that somehow we can help find him more consistent work. He does truly embody Gandhi's "We must become the change we wish to see."
#Sol19 #finalslice #buenosaires #argentina #bethechange
I am always moved by kindness, especially when I don't expect it. It seems to me that you were given exactly what you needed in that moment - kindness in the face of a lot of storms beyond your control, light where you expect darkness. I loved that moment of release, of being okay with letting the phone go because it might do someone else some good. You too are the change. Great slice!
ReplyDeleteLike Erin, I'm moved by kindness, or integrity, especially when people have very little themselves. This story is an amazing example of that, I'm praying that all of the goodness this gentleman is putting out into the world will come back to bless him richly!
ReplyDeleteThis IS a great way to end the challenge. Cheers to you, your husband, and this man!
ReplyDeletePerfect ending! This has been a day of gratitude for me too. So thankful for the positive vibes this community has created, and for the small acts of kindness in our world.
ReplyDeleteGlad the phone go back to you and sure hope this generous man gets a job that is right for him.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, dear Heather! I am so glad you got your phone back. God bless this driver by finding him that better job!
ReplyDelete