It starts with a high, the fall air inhaling and exhaling onto my face, sprouting goosebumps under my fall coat, but so content with that fact that autumn has fully arrived and basks in its glory.
Autumn has always been my favorite season. When I was 5, it was helping my parents in the yard, rake up the leaves, followed by afternoon touch football games and evening parties complete with soda and popcorn and barbecues. Windows were left cracked open making your room seem the perfect temperature to fall asleep.
Autumn in the US came with Halloween, treats, the wine colored leaves bursting spontaneously out of trees until they were left dry for the winter.
Autumn in the US came with chili and potato stews, tomato garbanzo soups and fluffy wool sweaters, fun colored and patterned rain boots.
Autumn in the US came with farm parties, Studio 54 parties, volleyball season.
Now, autumn is in April and I am having a little bit of an identity crisis.
Thinking it was spring, I was out looking for bugs for my son's bugnoculars and realized most of them are starting to hide themselves away from the crisp air.
Easter is coming and I am thinking of egg hunts and cute dress up clothes, which will look a little more like Thanksgiving.
And to top it all off, just behind the back wall of our yard, a palm tree looms over the house. I know four seasons are possible with palm trees but it does seem a little peculiar and hard to fathom.
Still, autumn is here in Argentina and I look forward to snuggling with my family, creating new traditions, since Pablo, Andres and I haven't ever had an autumn together.
Autumn has always been my favorite season. When I was 5, it was helping my parents in the yard, rake up the leaves, followed by afternoon touch football games and evening parties complete with soda and popcorn and barbecues. Windows were left cracked open making your room seem the perfect temperature to fall asleep.
Autumn in the US came with Halloween, treats, the wine colored leaves bursting spontaneously out of trees until they were left dry for the winter.
Autumn in the US came with chili and potato stews, tomato garbanzo soups and fluffy wool sweaters, fun colored and patterned rain boots.
Autumn in the US came with farm parties, Studio 54 parties, volleyball season.
Now, autumn is in April and I am having a little bit of an identity crisis.
Thinking it was spring, I was out looking for bugs for my son's bugnoculars and realized most of them are starting to hide themselves away from the crisp air.
Easter is coming and I am thinking of egg hunts and cute dress up clothes, which will look a little more like Thanksgiving.
And to top it all off, just behind the back wall of our yard, a palm tree looms over the house. I know four seasons are possible with palm trees but it does seem a little peculiar and hard to fathom.
Still, autumn is here in Argentina and I look forward to snuggling with my family, creating new traditions, since Pablo, Andres and I haven't ever had an autumn together.
I was surprised to read your title - Autumn is here. Amazing to think of the upcoming holidays being couched in coats and fall weather. Like you, autumn is my favorite season of the year.
ReplyDeleteLove how you started with your memories of autumn in the US. I love fall! Now that you are in a new part of the world I’m sure it has to be strange. Enjoy your family and autumn in Argentina!
ReplyDeleteEaster looking like Thanksgiving - that sounds about right. Adorable family photo ops, regardless!
ReplyDelete