Translate

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Late Night Visit

Long day.  Tears nearly shed and then joy erupted.  It's March and the seasons are changing and my how you can feel the energy of the earth creeping up your limbs and permeating every cell.

I got home to my hungry Spanish husband, eating his dinner at 9 pm.  A work dinner, with colleagues but enveloping emotions, family chats, professional journeys, hiccups and room for possibility, I too was enriched but exhausted. And, by 9:45 pm we were ready to lay down and crash.  Then all of the sudden, I saw my computer "Damn it!" I screeched.  "I need to blog."

I grabbed my computer. Settled into bed, not ideal.  I try to keep the computer out of bed but I couldn't help it.  My mind was fixated on a horizontal position.  I open my laptop and Pablo starts spurting out noises.  Having not seen him all day, I leap to the occasion.  I want a part of his life, best and worst.  

I go to his room and turn on the light.  He is upright, on a deep search for his bottle.  He finds it, and then realizes I am around, points to books, puzzles, games.  I try to stifle and distract with a diaper change.  He's still pointing at puzzles. I then realize the persiana is open "See Pablo, it's dark outside.  We need to go to sleep." He totally wins this battle.  I read Peedie, then, Stuck, then finally, The Going to Bed Book, and one last winner, constantly lowering the tone in my voice: Goodnight Moon.

"The day is done, I am saying good night and turning off the bedside light.  The moon is high, the stars are deep.  Let's rock and rock and rock to sleep." Sandra Boynton

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the nights! It's such a battle to leave them be, but maybe...just peek in and see. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor you! Pablo definitely won, but you did too- a little extra snuggle time and read aloud too! You even managed a late night slice!

    ReplyDelete