Translate

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Baking with Mom

I had a rough day so I wanted to write about somethings that made me happy.

Baking with Mom.

When I was just 4
Mom whipped out the bowls
A metal mixer
Some chocolate chips
Shredded coconut
Butterscotch chunks
Graham crackers.

We crushed the crackers,
Melted the chocolate
Sprinkled the coconut
And threw chunks of Butterscotch
On top to make
Magic Cookie Bars

The photo of me with
The wooden spoon
An enormous grin
And my brother nowhere to be found
Sparks sanity on days like these.

When I was 14 and generally cranky,
I came home from track practice
Not hungry after 8-400 m dashes
My mom wanted to feed me
And settled with "Let's make cookies"

She took out the cinnamon
the snow white sugar
the creamy butter
the dusty flour

We mixed
Mixed
Mixed

My grumpiness subsided
Wafts of cinnamon floated through the air
And snickerdoodles came out of the oven
Stealing my hunger and replacing it with joy.

When I was 28 and at home for the first time
In a while, recently divorced
Not wanting to talk
Not wanting to eat

My mom broke out the cookie cutters
The multiple ingredients for 4 different types of cookies
Hershey Kiss Peanut Butter
Mexican Wedding Cookies
Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles
Oatmeal Scotties

She didn't say a word.
We baked in silence.
Rolling the dough
Cutting out shapes

She knew what we had to do.

When the first batch was in
She broke out the wine.
At that point, things had become better than fine.

I smiled because somehow she knew
Those moments together sparked happy brew.

Now that she's gone, my love for baking
Has temporarily been lost and needs awaking.

I long for the day when Pablo and I can recreate cookie magic
With her loving guidance shining upon us.

#SOL19 #TWTblog #Remember

4 comments:

  1. This was a sweet post. I liked how you jumped through time with different cookie recipes. It reminded me of the movie/play Waitress, where the main character and her mom connect through baking pies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I’m focused on food in Munich SOL this year, and, this is no joke, I just talked to mother about Magic Cookie Bars earlier today. Haven’t thought about those in probably 20 years. Now twice in one day. Small, small world. Thanks so much for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful memories to hold close when you miss her. (I loved the line, "And my brother nowhere to be found" - so much is said in the few words and what is unsaid.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it so beautiful Heather😍

    ReplyDelete