Translate

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Wednesday Poetry inspired by Mini Lesson Writing

I am knee deep in writing a 5th grade poetry unit.  With luck, I had some resources to support the unit's development, another coaching friend gave me their 5th grade collaborative planning unit and the If/ Then curriculum in the Lucy Calkins 5th grade writing resources has some good suggestions for teaching points.   On top of this, nowadays, there are a number of great websites dedicated to poetry on top of the plethora of books you can find in your schools library, making resources accessible and ready to connect to teaching points. 

One of the lessons I wrote was under the teaching point: Poems can and usually evoke strong emotions. 

The teaching is planned to go as: 

Teaching: 

Start by studying a Prelutsky poem: I made a noise this morning
After you read, think aloud. 
  • Poems evoke strong emotions.  Which one does this evoke?  
  • Poets use words to convey emotions. Which ones show (emotion name?)
  • Poets use craft moves to convey emotions.  What does the poet use to convey these emotions? 

Name and notice.  

Then, approach the lesson as a writer.  
  1. Scan your notebook identifying patches of feelings and emotions- nostalgia
  2. Select a topic that you may have a certain emotion around -summer camp nights
  3. Brainstorm precise words that go with that emotion and topic -fireflies, the lingering smell of campfire and mosquito spray, the taste of burnt marshmallows always on my mind, the joy of rolling down the hill in tire tubes hair flying in the air, the agony of swim class and ice cold, bone chilling water
  4. Brainstorm craft moves: the line breaks should be soft, no need for rhyme, maybe repetition to show how the memories are joyful ones 
  5. Write a poem/ Share one you wrote

Today's poem is inspired by this mini-lesson.

Summer Camp Nights

Fireflies glow
Intermittently
Piercing the dark sapphire
Blue sky

Marshmallows roast
Sparking 
Embers dancing in the fire
Blackening

Heads tumble
Fluttering 
Hair flops up and down
Spiraling

Threads weave
Uniting
Colors, friends and
Memories 

Abyssal water
Chilling 
Limbs floating free
Tranquility

Laughter permeates
Bunk bed 
Corners, pillow talk
Joy

#SOL20 #day4 






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for providing the backstory to your poem. I love learning about process.
    Your poem elicits nostalgia in me. I love all the visual descriptors

    ReplyDelete